Traffic & Transport Focus Group
This Group identifies and lobbies for essential improvements to the road network and the public bus, rail and air services to and from Harrogate for business and leisure visitors, local businesses and residents alike.
Our recent successes include firm plans for:
- East Coast Mainline evening return service from Kings Cross to Harrogate
- New British Airways shuttle flights between Leeds Bradford and Heathrow
- Improvements to the Leeds Road Oatlands junction by M&S - but still not right.
- Double frequency of trains between Harrogate and Leeds - every 15 minutes from 2018
- New Intercity Express trains between Harrogate and London Kings Cross - every two hours from 2019
- Electrification of the whole Leeds - Harrogate - York line - on the Government's Tier 1 priority list
- Detailed study of our proposals for a new Airport Parkway Station on the Harrogate Line in progress
- Suspension of NYCC plans for on-street parking charges in the evenings and on Sundays
- Improved modelling of traffic lights performance in response to changing demand - but still not right
- NYCC now recognise the need for a Northern Relief Road from Skipton via A59 to A1(M) J47
- Established the Harrogate Line Supporters Group - now over 250 members
- Collaboration with Transdev Harrogate & District over new buses and new routes
We are still pressing for the following important actions
- Proposed new Park & Ride Rail Station at Flaxby Moor Business Park on the Harrogate Line
- Increased car parking at all stations along the Harrogate Line between Leeds and York
- Detailed review of Town Centre Parking availability, charges and time limits - both on and off street
- Town Centre inner ring road to take through traffic away from main shopping streets
- Radial route priority on the major roads leading into and out of Harrogate.
The Group works mainly through e-mails and newsletters together with occasional open meetings with the Harrogate Line Supporters Group and Rail Future Yorkshire Branch.